I was fortunate enough to have been part of the 2007-2008 Leadership Iowa class. Throughout the year I traveled the state learning about different communities and important issues facing Iowa such as healthcare, economic development and agriculture entrepreneurship. During one session, my class and I decided we were going to partner with Habitat for Humanity and build Iowa’s first “green” Habitat House.
Our goals were to build a model green home that would:
* Reduce the impact on human health and the environment;
* Minimize the family’s sustained utility costs;
* Serve as a model for Habitat for Humanity nationwide to encourage the organization to build more green homes, reduce the carbon footprint, and help make sustaining a home more affordable for partner families;
* Raise awareness of Iowa’s leadership in renewable energy; and
* Demonstrate that the life cycle cost of green building is less expensive than traditional construction.
These goals are becoming a reality this week when construction on Iowa’s first “green” Habitat House gets undeway. “Raise the Roof” on Project LIGHT (Leadership Iowa Green Home Team) is scheduled for Tuesday, August 12, 2008. Thank you to everyone involved who has contributed to make this project a reality!